Hello hello, we’re back with another read-a-thon. This time in the theme of Pokemon Indigo League!! I’m really excited. It’s really cool from Read at Midnight to be hosting this read-a-thon. The badges and training cards are beautiful!! So this is me signing up for the #ReadThemAllThon =] I will combine the rules and my TBR as I go. So if anyone who reads this wants to join they know how!! disclaimer: Al the information and rules are copied from Read at Midnight, I have no rights whatsoever. I will give my TBR in italics like this =]
What Is It?
The Pokemon Indigo League #ReadThemAllThon is a 3 weeks long reading challenge based on theKanto’s Indigo League. Long-time fans of the series would recognise this as the first set of gyms Ash Ketchum had to conquer in his quest to become the Pokemon Master. Now you, my friends, will also embark on a journey to become the very best. Instead of fighting gym battles, you’ll be reading books instead!
When Is It?
The read-a-thon will run for 3 weeks between Sunday 14th August to Sunday 4th September.
You can sign up anytime between now and the end of the read-a-thon.
How Do I Join?
Create a sign-up post on your own blog/booktube/booklr/etc with the books you will read for the challenge below and title it #ReadThemAllThon TBR or something similar. Then add your link to the link widget below. Please add a link back to this post!
There are 8 reading challenges within this read-a-thon, based on the 8 gyms that are in the Indigo League. Earn a badge every time you complete a book!
- Pewter Gym: The First Book In A Series
This Rock-type gym is the first gym Ash and the Pokemon player ever encounters. Finish this challenge to win a Boulder Badge.
My first badge will be completes if I’ve read Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. Goodreads. I loved ACOTAR and ACOMAF and I hope this book/series will blow me away equally hard.
This book has 404 pages, potential +40CP
- Cerulean Gym: A Book That Might Make You Cry
This Water-type gym has a badge that looks like a droplet of your tear, so read a book that will rip your heart out. Finish this challenge to win a Cascade Badge.
It End With Us by Colleen Hoover would be her saddest book yet. I haven’t read anything by Colleen Hoover yet, so I’ll start with the most heart ripping book by her. Goodreads.
This book has 384 pages, potential +38CP
- Vermillion Gym: A Book With Thunderous Hype
Vermillion City is the home to Lt. Surge and his many Electric-type Pokemon. For this challenge, read a book that’s been hyped all over bestseller’s list and the internet. Finish this challenge to win a Thunder Badge.
I waited a long time to read this series. But I can’t wait anymore to read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. Goodreads. With the movie coming up September 29, I can’t wait any longer. I don’t want the movie spoiling the books for me.
This book has 352 pages, potential +35CP
- Celadon Gym: A Book That Focuses on Diversity
Celadon Gym is one of my favourites, because of it’s colourful Grass-type aesthetics. Read a diverse book and you will earn yourself a Rainbow Badge.
I heard so much about Outrun the Moon by Stacy Lee. Goodreads. I’m dying to read this one!! And that cover is truly beautiful^^
This book has 400 pages, potential +40CP
- Fuchsia Gym: A Book With A Great Romance
I’ve always been confused by the fact that a Poison-type gym has a heart-shaped badge. Can someone explain please. Read a book that features romance prominently and earn a Soul Badge.
I chose to complete this badge with reading Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. Goodreads. I have heard a lot about this book, not spoily though and I’m interested in seeing the movie.
This book has 369 pages, potential +36CP
- Saffron Gym: A Book With Fantasy/Supernatural Elements
Saffron City is where all the Psychic-types hang out, so for this challenge, read a book with fantasy, magical realism, or paranormal elements. Finish this challenge to win a Marsh Badge.
I loved the Raven Boys, so naturally I will read this one. And it’s full of paranormal elements =] The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater. Goodreads.
This book has 437 pages, potential +43CP
- Cinnabar Gym: A Book With A Red Cover
Cinnabar Island is famous for red earth and Fire-type Pokemon. For this challenge, read a book with a red cover. Complete this challenge to win a Volcano Badge.
How red does this have to be? I don’t think a cover can be much redder than Talon by Julie Kagawa. Goodreads. I loved her Iron Fey series and hope I’ll love Talon as much. I know I love dragon stories, so that’s not an issue.
This book has 445 pages, potential +44CP
- Viridian Gym: A Book With Post-Apocalyptic Setting
The final gym is home to a Team Rocket Leader (OK, if it’s been out 10+ years you can’t cry spoilers) and Ground-type Pokemon. For this challenge, read a book featuring a ruined, post-apocalyptic Earth. Finish this to win yourself an Earth Badge.
The 100 by Kass Morgan. Goodreads. My boyfriend loves the television series and I’ve heard a lot about it. I’ll give it a try, finally!! Maybe I’ll get just as hooked and I’ll want to see the television series as well.
This book has 336 pages, potential +33CP
[Maybe Aentee from Read at Midnight will be so sweet to make me a trainer card of Togepi =] If so, it will appear here later on.]
So I’ll will choose wisely and go with Magikarp? I wanted Togepi but a Gyarados will provide me with an extra +20CP. But it would only be profitable when I complete all the books. When I read 7 of the 8 books I won’t get to evolve. So Togepi it is =]
Maximum potential CP to end with:
Togepi #175 10CP
Throne of Glass 40CP+20CP
It Ends With Us 38CP+20CP
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children 35CP+20CP
Outrun the Moon 40CP+20CP
Me Before You 36CP+20CP
The Dream Thieves 43CP+20CP
The 100 33CP+20CP
Subtotal by completing books: 479CP
Evolving into Togetic #176 50CP
Evolving into TogeKiss #468 50CP
Total without Social Media posting: 579CP
Extra Points & Fun
The main challenge is to read those eight books in the 3 weeks. However, you can also have ONE POKEMON EACH and use them to keep scores and figure out who’s the very best.
- Each participant can choose one Pokemon, and will start with i) 10CP (Combat Power) for a Pokemon that can evolve OR ii) 50CP for a Pokemon that cannot evolved e.g. Lapras.
- For each 10 pages they read during the challenge, their Pokemon will gain +1CP. That’s +10CP per 100 pages!
- For each gym badge/book completed, they will gain an extra +20CP.
- For each review you post of a book you read during the Read-a-Thon period, gain an extra +20CP.
- Each time you tweet under the hashtag #ReadThemAllThon on Twitter, gain +2CP.
- Each time you post a photo of your book + a Pokemon (via Pokemon Go camera function) under the hashtag #ReadThemAllThon on Twitter, gain +5CP.
- When you are 150CP, your Pokemon can evolve, earning you gain an extra +50CP. If your Pokemon has a third evolutionary form, it can evolve again at 400CP and gain you an extra +50CP.
- If you choose a Magikarp, you can’t evolve until you get to 450CP, but you will gain an extra +120CP when you have a Gyarados. Basically, if you think you can read loads of books, choose a Magikarp.
- Whoever owns the Pokemon with the highest CP in the end, wins the title of Pokemon League Champion and will earn a prize (to be announced), as well as bragging rights.
For those who are confused with all the numbers, like myself, please use this example picture to guide you.
In case you’ve missed these:
- #33 A Court of Mist and fury.
- #32 Beautiful Creatures.
- #Make-Me-Read It Read-A-Thon Wrap-up
- #31 Scarlet.
- #30 The Raven Boys.